Spangler Candy Company has been committed to making quality products, including favorites like Dum Dums, Saf-T-Pops and Circus Peanuts since 1906. Also, the safety of our products is a focus for us. Given the rise in recent years of food allergies, food intolerances and cases of celiac disease, this is especially important.
Every effort is made to ensure that our products are free of the most common allergens. So whether you, or someone in your life, is on a gluten-free diet or has an allergy to wheat, dairy, peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish or shellfish, you can feel confident that Spangler products packaged in our facility are safe.
Peace of mind is so important when it comes to food allergies. Please see the paragraph on re-bagged items below.
If you have any questions about our ingredients, please send an email to email@example.com, or contact our Quality Assurance department. An icon in the square below denotes that particular product is free from the allergen listed.
*A note about soy.
Our products, except Circus Peanuts, may contain trace amounts of soy oil, a processing aid in making candy. The soy oil has been refined, bleached and deodorized, a process that removes the protein that can cause an allergic reaction. Because individual sensitivities vary, however, we have chosen to list the soy oil.
In today's market it is a regular practice for retailers to have their own private label bag. In most of these situations, we do not pack these items ourselves, but the retailer or customer of ours purchases and repackages our items.
The allergen free claim may be different as these companies often package other items that may contain peanuts, tree nuts, dairy, wheat, gluten, eggs, fish, shellfish, or soy in their facilities. Trace elements of these allergens could come into contact with our items.
To be confident that you are getting an allergen-free Spangler candy item, check the back of the bag for the allergen statement. Spangler Candy bags manufactured and packaged in our facility will have the following identifiers:
(1) Graphics of bag as shown on the Spangler Candy company website at www.spanglercandy.com.
(2) Current Spangler allergen statement: "This product does not contain peanuts, tree nuts, milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, wheat, or gluten. It has been manufactured on dedicated equipment."
(3) Address line on the back of the bag: Manufactured by Spangler Candy Company, Bryan, Ohio, 43506 USA.
(4) UPC code begins with “0 30800”. This is the code for our manufacturing facility.
Families with allergic children take great care to determine the origin of the food their children consume to protect against an allergic reaction. Families should ask the origin of any candy or food product that is in an open bowl or container to ensure what their children consume is free of allergens.
If you have questions, please contact our Quality Assurance department at firstname.lastname@example.org toll-free 888-636-4221.
(1) All Spangler Candy products are made on dedicated manufacturing equipment.
(2) We thoroughly clean every manufacturing line, every day.
(3) Our manufacturing facilities are 100% free of gluten (from wheat, barley and rye), dairy, peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish and shellfish.
(4) We notify all of our suppliers about our allergen standards. We also request an annual allergen report from each supplier to verify that the ingredients they provide are allergy free.
(5) At least twice a year, all of our products are tested for allergens by an independent food lab.
Facts about food allergies and intolerances in the United States. Did you know?
(1) National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, 2007, (2) National Center for Health Statistics, 2008 Brief, (3) Consumer Health Interactive Report, 2008 (4) Celiac.com, 2007, & National Institutes of Health (5) Journal of Allergy & Clinical Immunology, 2003 (6) Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN), (7) Autism Speaks (8) American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, & Immunology, 2008